Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Introducing Eyecandy Chainmaille

This week we get to introduce another of our new ArtFire Chainmaille Guild members. This week it is Candy from EyeCandy Chainmaille. Let's go and learn more about Candy.


1) How long have you been a Chainmailler? I have been mailling for about 3.5 years now. There is an odd story behind why I started, but the fact is that I was interested in belled pieces and was not able to find what I wanted. I somehow ended up at mailling sites and was off and running.

2) Why do you like Chainmaille? Honestly, because it is tedious to do. It requires thought, effort and creativity that is constrained to the way the rings attach and interact. Making a peice requires not only a spark of creativity, but some idea of how to engineer the peice in such a way to have it lay correctly. That can be harder than one thinks when the piece shows itself in their heads. For example, I like beads to look like they are floating, meaning flowing with the design rather than being attached as afterthought. I also like clasps to stay on the bottom of the wrist instead of wheeling up. Assymetry is also a good study in engineering, because with chainmaille, which is heavier and much more solid than commercial grade necklace chain, you have to consider how to even the weight of the silver with the stones and which style of stone will flow with the design you are trying to achieve. Yeah, okay, lecture done... Sorry!

3) What is your favourite type of ring? Round, tiny and shiny. Wait that describes them all! :-D

4) What kind of items do you prefer to make? Jewelry pieces. I really like bracelets but I make lots of earrings and pendants because those are easier to sell.

5) Which weave would you like to learn that you dont currently know? JPL and Elfweave.

6) Which piece are you most proud of? Uhm... well there are two. My Crosses, of course. Anyone who sees them knows they are on my site, my blog... of that it is my sending a message to them. I am also really proud of the Goddess Necklace I made for Sophia. It is Forads Keade weave with set stones with handmade settings, wrapped cabs that have handmade prongs hiding inside the HP-4 surround for security and because she did not want glue, wire-wrapped strand seperators, handmade nuggets with the stones set on them, and it features black opals, black pearls, tourmalines, and some stones that she had from rings she sold as scrap. The thing that really makes me proudest is the engineering of it all. Even with all that unlike material, the whole piece lays perfectly even across the front weightwise and when she puts it on, it so incredibly forms, almost melting, to her skin that no one can say the peice was not made just for her.

7) What advice would you give to someone who was considering doing Chainmaille? Find a really good tutorial. I can recommend one :-). I would tell them to find someone they can talk to, even if it is exchanging messages and pictures with, about mailling and any problems they may be experiencing. I would tell them to get the best tools they can afford. I would tell them to find suppliers they can rely on, not just for availability of goods, but also for consistent quality, consistent color if that is relevant, and good customer support. I would also say don't be afraid to try. The first metal I learned on was silver. I made mistakes, I accumulated waste and I learned. The waste can go to good use, how do you think I make nuggets.

Thanks so much for answering our questions Candy, and welcome to the guild.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Your items are beautiful! I'm very impressed. I can tell you take pride in each piece :)

MikiCatDesigns said...

Great interview and beautiful work. I appreciate the advice even though I'm no longer a newbie. Would love to see the piece you made for Sophia. Got a pic?

The ChainMaille Lady said...

Fabulous interview! I love your crosses!