Monday, May 2, 2011

Introducing Circles of Stone!

 



Here we are again introducing another member of the ArtFire Chainmaille Guild. This week we are meeting Circles of Stone. We asked her our regular questions, let's see how she answered. 

How long have you been a Chainmailler?  I think I've been doing chainmaille for about 12 years off and on. I say off and on because I like to try different techniques. I'm currently learning to stamp and rivet metals. Now I need to combine that with my chainmaille!
 
 Why do you like Chainmaille? It amazes me the beautiful pieces that can be created from simple round rings. I also like the history behind the art of chainmaille.
 
What is your favourite type of ring? I started out working with sterling 16 gauge/4.5mm, but because of the economy I'm also working with aluminum and rubber rings. I'm having fun adding color to my designs this way.
 
What kind of items do you prefer to make? In chainmaille I mostly make bracelets and earrings. I really enjoy the byzantine link.
 
Which weave would you like to learn that you don't currently know?  I just can't seem to get the hang of full Persian or even half Persian. I need to make sure I'm in a very patient mood before trying this again!
 
Which piece are you most proud of? My current favorite is the sterling silver bracelet I did in the European 4 in 1 weave.
 
What advice would you give to someone who was considering doing Chainmaille? There are a lot of good books and online tutorials to help you learn the weaves.  Enjoy your creative journey and be patient with yourself.
 

You can see more of her lovely work, not just Chainmaille, in her studio, Circles of Stone, on ArtFire.

No comments: