Saturday, August 20, 2011

Introducing Doktor Nix

This week we meet another new member of the ArtFire Chainmaille Guild. We are going to meet Nick, the creative force behind Doktor Nix. We asked Nick our regular questions, so let's see how he answered.

How long have you been a Chainmailler? I have been making chainmaille for about a year and a half now. 

Why do you like Chainmaille? I love the feel of the chain and the mesh, as well as the strength of a finished work. It's both functional and beautiful. It has also provided me with a point of focus that has helped me with my severe adult ADD. Working with chain calms and quiets my mind.

What is your favourite type of ring? I personally enjoy working with small diameter copper rings. I love the feel and weight of copper as well as the beautiful way it tarnishes. For sellable items, however, I prefer to work in steel for its durability and resistance to the elements. 

What kind of items do you prefer to make? I like making anything that's new. Anything I haven't made before. Every new challenge is a thrill and an adventure. I'm always looking to find what else can be done with the medium.

Which weave would you like to learn that you dont currently know? I really want to learn Japanese weaves and to learn Turkish round. Both are absolutely beautiful and I have not had the opportunity to work in them yet. Turkish, specifically, has given me a lot of trouble so far.

Which piece are you most proud of? I would say that I'm most proud of the flogger/cat-o-nine tails that I made of chainmaille. It was a challenge offered to me and I enjoyed rising to meet it. The piece always attracts the most attention.

What advice would you give to someone who was considering doing Chainmaille? Chainmaille takes a great deal of patience, focus, and endurance. If you can make it past the repetitive tedious nature of the work, it can be deeply rewarding. There is simply no way to get through a piece without putting some of yourself into it, and that shows in the end. If you rush the work or try to work around the time and effort it should take, that will show as well.

Thank you Nick, and welcome to the ArtFire Chainmaille Guild. You can see more great creations at Doktor Nix on ArtFire.

No comments: